Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Agree

Know it All's post about arguing got me thinking about some dates I've been on.

Don't just "agree," build on your answer! I hate when I spew out my opinion on something only to have the guy say, "Yeah, you're right." Why not a, "Yeah, you're right, because when I was in Yeshiva..." or something like that. This way, you launch conversation-you run the risk of getting off the topic and not being able to share something, but this risk is far better than that of an awkward silence.

Now, if you disagree, obviously you have to back it up as well. I think what KIA said was kinda obvious, which is- don't get all huffy and stubborn and say, "No, I'm telling you it's...." I once had an arguement about some song. I knew what I was talking about. I just figured I'll agree because it's better than arguing about something stupid and meaningless.

One guy asked me if I approve of something that I cannot stand, and won't tolerate. I was tempted to just say it doesn't bother me, because I knew I'd never see the loser again, and why argue. But it was something that I am so against, I told him straight out, "I don't approve." Till then, I was kind of expecting a "yes" from him. After I told him I don't approve, and shot down all of his justifications, I figured it would be mutual. Sure enough, he said "yes" anyway.

Was it that I had the guys to disagree with him? Was he simply testing me? Was it the manner in which I disagreed with him?

I don't know. But I am a firm believer in standing by what you believe (in something significant, not necessarily which year Cheers debuted) and possibly risking the date because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home