Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Will She Mind If He Turns on Lite-FM Once in A While?"

Ahhh-the touchy topic of Goyishe music. Or for you Yeshivish people out there, "English music," Good to know Irish, Canadian, Russian, and American music are okay. As long as it's not English, we're safe. Is that how it works?

Anyway, on a first date, I unintentionally led to the topic of Goyishe music, so I asked him directly, "Do you listen to Goyishe music?" (in a totally neutral tone) The guy blushed, and reminded me that that, my friend, is a "third date question." Oh, is that the rule? Great. So I gotta go out with this guy twice more just to find that out?

He ended up answering it (duh-"he's trying to stop"), and we discussed it a little. No big deal.

My point is that although it sounds petty and shallow when you ask about it, it effects everyday life. Every time I get into my car, there is music on. In the kitchen, there is music on. In my bedroom when I am studying, there is music on. Let's say the guy likes Rock and Roll, and I'd like to stick with my Eli Gerstner and Matisyahu- every time we are together, somebody is giving up on his/her musical pleasure.

Also, you don't want to bring your mate down with you. If you've managed to quit Goyishe music, and now your new mate wants to have it on all the time, s/he's bringing you down. On the other hand, is it something to dump someone over?I mean, if it's an 8th date, (what am I talking about-8th date, you're engaged for 2 weeks by then) whatever-and you're serious, and you find out about the music thing, it might be a dumb thing to break things off, but if it's at the beginning, does it make such a difference?

6 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont hink so. cuz if you agree on most things then you can compromise on other stuff. for example one will listen to goiyshe music when the other isnt around

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Y.Y. said...

goyeshe music is the best no jew comes close

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah, there is no comparison with Goyishe music. I mean, all these idiots are cheap imitations of the Goyim, so you might as well have the real stuff.

And yeah, like LFAWG, I have music on all the time. I just can't stand that Eli Gerstner stuff. But I go crazy during Sefira when I can't have music.

While ideally one might say that the music doesn't mean a lot, it really does. Like, when the guy asks me what kind of music I like, and I tell them, i HOPE they say the same music. One guy told me he loves rap. I hoped he was kidding. He wasn't. I mean, if Sean Paul is playing on z100, I won't change the station, but this dude listens to hot 97 and such! There were many other things I didn't like about the guy, but that would have posed a problem.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think on dates if a guy or girl likes non Jewish music he or she should blast Eminem or 50 Cent when the date gets in the car

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a VERY relevant issue- even if right now the partner listening to Jimi Hendrix or Destiny's Child can do it only when the other isn't around, what's gonna happen when they have kids who reach an age where they are beginning to make their own choices? will the poor child be caught in a battle of hypocrisy between the parents? will s/he get mixed messages about all aspects of Yiddishkeit? Will that not result in taking sides and creating rifts in the parent/child relationship? I feel this matter, of "English/Canadian/Irish/African Tribal music" is VERY VERY important to be discussed, especially if music plays a key role in your life- i.e. is "always on in the car, kitchen, etc.!!!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jewboy said...

Benchy- I'm afraid you're just demonstrating the destructive problem in frum circles that people measure frumkeit by if you watch TV and movies or listen to non- Jewish music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home